1/10/13

the best day

The first day of this new year started with a hangover and cloudy weather.  I find it hard to start the year strong with a throbbing head, unquenchable thirst, and rain looming near, but this day managed to pull through as perhaps my favorite day of the whole vacation.  It was a day of no makeup and a comfy maxi dress with a backpack strapped on and no particular plans except to go on a walk with R and explore.  R had read about a secret beach near the house we were renting in Princeville, Kauai that we hoped to eventually find.  Our first stop on our walk however, was the exquisite cliffside St. Regis hotel nearby.  We wandered around pretending we were honey-mooning at this swanky place and took in the panoramic views on the balcony.  After relaxing and taking it all in, we found the  hidden trail to the beach, complete with frayed ropes to lower yourself down where the guard rail had long since rusted away.  The best days always include a little bit of adventure.  Below are some of my favorite snaps from the first day of this new year, I hope you enjoy!
 Taking in the views from the balcony of the St. Regis.
 Our adventure started with a walk down the road for a few miles to the St. Regis.  On the way, I spotted these gorgeous little two level condos, which I plan on living in someday!
 The view from above the dining room in the St. Regis was breathtaking.  The tall windows made you feel like you were actually outdoors.
 Rooftop gardens and foggy mountains. Yes please.
 R taking in the view.
We didn't want to ask someone to take our picture so we did our own self portrait in the glass of the balcony doors.  
 We found the secret beach! And no one else is here! Hi R!
The view of the ocean from under the "tree of life" on the secret beach. 
The dreaded but mandatory bathing suit picture at secret beach.
 All was well and good after we did some serious frolicking in the water, shouting and running around with no one watching.  That is, until we spotted the man-o-wars washed up all over the sand.  Needless to say, we did not go back in for a swim after. 
Those terrifying tiny creatures and cloudy skies did not dampen our day however! We had our own little adventure and I could not have asked for a better start to 2013.
xo Hannah

22 comments:

  1. What a beautiful paradise!

    Valeria.
    http://myurbanmarket.blogspot.it
    http://www.facebook.com/ValeUrbanMarket

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW looks amazing! lucky!
    Your blog is lovely by the way, followed!

    shabna x x
    http://scheine.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful photos!! love the reflection picture. What a wonderful trip, I feel like I've been there with you! loved all the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really really really really really want to go to Hawaii. Beautiful. I am beyond jealous right now! (And, you look so cute in the maxi dress!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah, your trip sounds too wonderful for words. Take me with you next time! And I don't think I'll ever get tired of this dress, it's just so cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! I am still jealous at you, even though there are some clouds on the hawaiin sky too ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THESE! And you're amazing in a bathing suit - you look cute in anything I swear! I'd look terrible in this dress, but you pull it off perfectly.

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  8. was that a jelly fish?! eek it looked so creepy haha! and you were very strong to adventure so much on a hangover haha usually i just lower the blinds and stew in grumpiness till the next day. i love how you two pretended to be honeymooners to creep around (too cute) and that's SO cool you actually found the secret beach! I bet it's wierd being back in the cold! and as for my trip to india, i know for sure i'll be writing on my tumblr since there'll be a bunch of internet cafes, but im still deciding if i'm going to bring my laptop in order to post pictures. in the end it'll probably depend on how much clothes i take ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun day! Also- you look so cute in a swimming suit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow you had such a great start in that new year, the secret beach looks beautiful and so you are!
    kiss,mary
    http://www.maryloucinnamon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its always scary seeing a jellyfish around! Its pretty though haha. Sounds like the perfect day. We wanted to find a hidden beach when we were there on our honeymoon but never got around to it :( it. Sounds so romantic!!
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Amazing view dear! I love the house you rented! I love the fact that it was only a walking distance near the beaches! Keep posting more!

    fashionerza.com

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhhh! I'm so jealous! I have been dreaming of the beach (especially Hawaii!) What an amazing way to bring in the New Year (even with a hangover!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow it looks beautiful! I hope you have a great new year!

    -Violet
    http://rose-et-violet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah such a fun adventure! I love days with no plans that turn out to be the best! I know I've said this before but I'm seriously jealous, looks like an amazing trip! I can't wait until the day I get to go to Hawaii. Glad your hungover day turned out not so bad! Such a fun and sweet way to kick off the year!

    perfectly priya

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures!!

    xx Mounia
    www.nonchalantrebel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm popping over to let you know where i got my boots from :) the light brown booties i got from topshop on sale for $20, and then my grey suede pair i got from Macy's! I got both of them a while ago, but they keep pretty much selling similar pairs all winter long

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woah such a great adventure! Even includes a secret beach, that must be so nice to be at a beach where there's not a huge crowd of people. All the beaches I have ever been to have been filled with people. But ooo that jellyfish is pretty scary looking but also kind of beautiful at the same time...

    I love your yellow flower crown, it's really pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What pretty photos! And yes, my new year started with a headache as well ;) Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can’t really recall a time when my year didn’t start with a headache (that’s probably really bad). But they say you should start as you mean to go on :) I am so jealous of these pictures! What I would give to be on the beach (and in a maxi dress) again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the overcast weather made for great photos!

    ReplyDelete