Just wanted to share a quick and easy DIY I did a few weekends ago to try and organize all of my jewelry! I basically just picked an already trimmed thick branch from a pile of tree trimmings on the side of the road, added nails, and hung it! I love that not only does it provide a space to hang all of my bigger necklaces, but also acts as a piece of fun wall art on a previously bare wall space! I would recommend finding a piece of wood with a little character, mine had some slight imperfectins and it made me like it all the better!
Found Branch (about 3ft long, 2 in diameter)
Hemp (or wire)
White Plastic Wall Hooks (2)
The steps are pretty simple!
1. Find a suitable branch. Look for one that has already been cut ideally!
2. Mark where you want your nails to go with a light marker.
3. Nail them into place, I did mine about every 2 inches or so. You want to have room for your bulkier jewelry to not have to be on top of eachother when hanging. Also make sure you are nailing them in so the nail head is at a slight upward angle so the necklaces don't slide off when it is hung. (see picture 2)
4. Only nail them about halfway in, you want to leave enough room for hanging the necklaces.
5. Now you are ready to hang the branch. Mark the wall lightly with pencil where the branch ends will be. Then, stick the plastic wall hangers (I used some from 3M brand) over these spots. Follow the instructions, usually you should leave them for a few hours, or overnight, before anything is actually hung on them to let the stickies really take hold.
6. Take the branch and, with the row of nails facing forward and at a slight upwards, nail one more nail on the very top of the branch at each end. Nail these in so only about a centimeter is left out.
7. Wrap hemp or wire around these top end nails, making tight knots around the nail and end in a loop (or more securely, a double loop), that you will use to hang your branch from the two wall hangers. (see picture 3)
8. When you have waited the specified time to hang something from the sticky wall hangers, go ahead and attack your branch by the hemp loops!
9. Add all your pretty jewelry, and voila, organization and a piece of wall art in one!
This whole project cost me about 5 dollars to make. I already had hemp rope lying around and a hammer, so all I needed to do was buy a few nails and sticky-backed wall hangers. Hope you enjoyed this tutorial, I hope to add more DIY projects to the blog soon! How do you organize your jewelry?