3/21/14

R's Apartment Tour

Today I am SUPER excited to share with you a home tour of my boyfriend Rob's (the mysterious "R" I mention so often on here) apartment! I will be the first to admit that when we first went to look at the place about a year ago, I was not overly impressed with what I first saw... the previous tenants did not do much with the place.  Over the first few months of living there though, I watched the apartment transform room by room, into the amazing place I know and love today!  I asked him a few question's about his place so you guys can get to know him and his style a bit better.  Enjoy!

 
  
How would you describe your overall design style?
"Normal person" modern, with maybe a little vintage or industrial flare. I love clean lines and good design, but I don't like when a place looks too sparse, or lacks personality.

  Do you have any favorite colors you use while decorating?
White, red, and wood (is that a color?) are my main stand by's I guess. I try and follow the 80% neutral, 20% color rule.

    
How do your real life hobbies and interests reflect in your design style?
I love design, cars, and music, but I think you could have easily guessed that without me telling you. I'm web designer for a living so I love things that are designed well. I think your place should tell a story about who you are and be filled with things that inspire you. I appreciate a balance between form and function wether its my living space, a web site, the way a song was made, or the design of a car. Now that I think about it, maybe all the red has something to do with my lifelong obsession with Ferrari's...

  What are your favorite things to do while at home?
Besides general relaxing, I love sitting in my "music room" and listening to records with a beer or Manhattan. 
**Editor's note: I think he meant to say "Hang out with my amazing girlfriend Hannah!" :)

  
  
Whats your favorite part of your home?
All of the windows and natural light. I think this is probably pretty rare in a condo. I like the mostly open layout too.

  Do you have any design sites/ places to go for inspiration that you check regularly?
I look at Apartment Therapy occasionally for inspiration. I appreciate that they show places that actually look like people live in them and weren't just made for a magazine article. 


What do you guys think? Pretty cool huh!? R and I both really like interior design and definitely have different styles, but they actually overlap quite a bit in the center so its fun bouncing ideas off of each other and sharing fun finds.  For example, the large industrial ampersand hanging on the wall of his living room... we both liked it so much that we almost battled it out for it in the aisles of Target. We are going to be getting our first place together this summer so I am really excited to see how both of our styles meld together into a place that makes both of us happy and inspired (and hey, then that ampersand will be mine too)!  If you have any questions of where anything is from, etc., just leave it in the comment section and R would be happy to answer.  I will be sharing my own apartment tour next week, so stay tuned!
Have a wonderful weekend!
xo Hannah

18 comments:

  1. It's so cool how you can tell a lot about someone's personality from their living space. I love this quote from the beginning: "'Normal person' modern, with maybe a little vintage or industrial flare." That's a great self-description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sonya! I loved that quote too haha. I am wondering what non- normal person modern is? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non-normal modern is when you might confuse it for Dr. Evils lair or a futuristic prison

      Delete
    2. I feel a pinterest inspiration board coming on!

      Delete
  3. Rob's apartment looks awesome! He has such good style in designing everything, much better than I am w/ interior design, and well, I won't even mention what I know J's apartment will look like when I arrive there... probably the frames we took over will all be on the floor for a hint. but to his credit he knows I'll want to change it all if he put stuff up. how exciting you two are moving in together this summer- what a big & great step for your relationship! can't' wait to see how you merge your design styles too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dus! That's so exciting that you will be able to help decorate when you get there too!

      Delete
  4. Just loved the tour of R's apartment! Really like his style. Exciting news about your big move this summer. Wish you both the best. I am also looking forward to the tour of your apartment next week, Hannah. Hugs.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alyce, you are always so sweet and encouraging with my shop & blog! Have a great weekend! :)
      xo Hannah

      Delete
  5. ummm- WOW! I can't tell what I'm most excited about, the fact that I finally know R's true identity, or that he has a kickass eye for design (with your help, I'm sure). I love that his house is colorful, but still well put-together, neat, but still very homey. also it does a great job of showing off his favorite things! thank you for sharing this, I've got to let Hunter take a look so he can see that well-decorated doesn't have to mean girly!

    also- can't WAIT to see your apt!

    ♥ perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Priya! I totally agree that a place can be well decorated without being feminine. It's going to be interesting for us to try to find that balance in our new place this summer since I tend to fall on the more girly side of the spectrum haha! :)

      Delete
  6. Like everyone else, I enjoy getting to know your man a little bit more through his answers and home. This is an awesome apartment- love all the posters too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh really nice! I am really happy that J and I share a similar style when it comes to decoration. A few things remind me of our place- like the corner with the vinyls and the clear colors an a lot of wood :) I really like this place and it looks also like a sunny house - thats always the best, when you have a lot of light in your rooms.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am impressed! I wish my husband had as good an eye as your boyfriend!

    http://lamentinglizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun tour- he has a great collection of prints! I can't wait to see your apartment tour and the future one you share. Also it was fun to get a little glimpse into the mysterious world of "R" :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cool! Thanks for sharing - while I think my style is a little different as well, I can definitely agree about windows and natural light, its definitely a favorite part of my home!
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, I want R's apartment. Seriously, it's ridiculously cool. I have such a thing for interesting art prints, so I'm all about this. I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great space. Home tours are one of my favorite things. Magazines are great but seeing "real" lived-in spaces is so much better. Especially when it is a Man Space!

    http://shaktidove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Rob's apartment looks so organized, which surprised me a ton because I know that some guys don't give much thought into the look of their homes. Anyway, I love how well-kept and stylish his place is. Also, I want that turntable so badly. Hahaha! Thanks for giving us a tour of the apartment, Hannah! All the best! :)

    Justin Garrett @ Buzz Homes

    ReplyDelete