12/13/11

Going Green in Style

Hi Friends!
     Sorry I have been absent this past week. I was home celebrating an early Christmas with my family in New Jersey, since they will be traveling on Christmas day.  The trip was way too short but I managed to see most of the family, friends, and places that I wanted to visit while I was home. It was filled with catching up, gift exchanging, and of course, eating a gluttonous amount of holiday treats!  
     Anyway, with the holidays right around the corner, I wanted to tell all of you about a lovely little cup I received in the mail courtesy of Keep Cup. I am not sure how many of you know this this, but my bachelor's degree is in Environmental Policy, and I currently work in the Environmental consulting field.  So, I get really excited about products that can combine my love for cute things with my passion for sustainability and eco-consciousness.  This little cup does the trick! I wish I had found out about this company sooner so I could get everyone on my list a Keep Cup in their favorite colors for the holidays.  
     I just wanted to quickly highlight some of my favorite parts of the Keep Cup and reasons why I would recommend it to any coffee fanatic.  My reasons are both as a conscious consumer, and from someone who appreciates the combination of aesthetics and function in a product. 

1. The Keep Cup saves you money!
It is much easier to do the "right" thing for the environment if there are monetary savings attached! One awesome part of using the Keep Cup at your local coffee shop instead of one of their disposable cups is that almost all shops will give you a discount on your coffee. Whether it be ten cents or fifty, if you are a coffee person like me, that change will add up quickly!
2. The Keep Cup has overall less impact on the environment than using disposable cups.
Most disposable cups are lined in plastic, bleached paper, and dyes, making it difficult to recycle even if the base is paper. Though made of plastic, the Keep Cup reduces your carbon footprint significantly if used regularly in place of a disposable cup.  We are finally getting used to the practice or recycling, but it is the practice of RE-USING that often makes the most difference in minimizing waste.
3. You can design your own Keep Cup, customizing the color and size of your cup on their interactive website.
This probably makes me a terrible environmentalist, but I think the fact that you get to design your own cup is my favorite part!  I think I have designed at least ten different cups for friends and family that I want to order. The cups come in four different sizes, and a ton of different color combinations.  You get to pick the cup, lid, plug, and band color, so the possibilities seem endlessEven if you are not in the market right now, I would highly recommend going to their website to play around with all the options!
4.  The shape and design of the Keep Cup make it more functional than a regular coffee mug or disposable cup when you are on the go.
One last part about the cup that made it really convenient for me is that it fits in both my car and bike holders! You have no idea how many times I have tried to bring a mug of coffee in my car while in a hurry, trying to balance it in the middle in between my cup holder and emergency break.  Even better, when I ride my bike to work, I have never been able to stop for coffee because it spills everywhere in a disposable cup.  Though the Keep Cup is not air tight, it is completely spill proof and passed the bike test with ease :)


 




 
 
 

Outfit Details:
Tights: Ross
Boots:Marshalls
Skirt: thrifted
Sweater: thrifted
Hat: Apostrophe from Sears
Scarf: gift/ unkown
12 oz. Cup:c/o www.keepcup.com

Alright, well I hope that was helpful for all of you and not too preachy.  I had a ton of fun using my cup as a little prop in the photos, as coffee is usually my most important morning accessory anyway! In other news, I hope to have some pictures up from my trip home very soon too!  We took some really cool shots on the boardwalk in Asbury Park, and I cannot wait to share them with all of you.  I hope everyone is finishing up their last minute shopping and getting ready to spend some quality time with good food, friends, and family.  Take Care!
xo Hannah

*Disclaimer 1: I was not commissioned or paid to say good things about Keep Cup, these are my own personal, researched, and honest thoughts.  
*Disclaimer 2: Yes, I am aware I look like the Hamburglar in these pictures, though I did not realize it while planning the outfit!!








No comments:

Post a Comment